What does MCS approved mean?
MCS stands for Microgeneration Certification Scheme. MCS is a standards certification which certifies low-carbon products and installations used to produce electricity and heat from renewable sources.
MCS is a mark of quality. Membership of MCS demonstrates adherence to these recognised industry standards; highlighting quality, competency and compliance.
More Questions About Boiler Upgrade Scheme
Which accreditations should my Installer have?
If you wish to apply for the Boiler Upgrade Scheme (BUS) your installer must be Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) approved and registered with Ofgem to receive the BUS voucher.
R A Brown Heating Services are MCS approved and able to receive the BUS voucher.
What is the Boiler Upgrade Scheme?
The Boiler Upgrade Scheme (BUS) is a government grant scheme has replaced the Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) on 1st April 2022.
The government grant will provide a £5,000 voucher for homeowners looking to install an air source heat pump and £6,000 voucher for a ground source heat pump which will be replacing a gas or oil boiler.
Full details are on our Incentives page
What is the eligibility criteria for the Boiler Upgrade Scheme?
Eligibility Criteria for the Boiler Upgrade Scheme
The Boiler Upgrade Scheme will provide a grant to encourage property owners to replace existing fossil fuel heating with more efficient, low carbon heating systems including air source heat pumps, ground source heat pumps and in limited circumstances biomass boilers.
- Homes and small non-domestic properties in England and Wales will be eligible.
- The maximum installation capacity of up to 45kWth covers most of the eligible properties.
- Your property will need a valid energy performance certificate (EPC) with no outstanding recommendations for loft or cavity call insulation. (Your heating system will work more efficiently with these insulation measures).
- Biomass boilers are only eligible in rural locations and in properties off the gas grid.
- Heat pumps are eligible for properties either on or off the gas grid.
- The commissioning date of your low carbon heating system must be on or after 1st April 2022.
- You must be fully replacing an existing fossil fuel system such as oil, gas or direct electric.
- Funding will not be available for the replacement of existing low carbon heat systems.
- New build homes and social housing will not be eligible for the Boiler Upgrade Scheme, although custom-build properties will be eligible.
How do I find an MCS approved installer in Norfolk?
R A Brown Heating Services are an Microgeneration Certification Scheme (MCS) approved installer who cover Norfolk and North Suffolk for heat pump installations.
To be able to claim the Boiler Upgrade Scheme you need to ensure your installer is MCS approved and registered to receive the BUS voucher.